The libraries are envisaged to act as the regional nuclei of knowledge and in that sense, librarians are its custodians. With the advent of information technology, the library science, as a career, has seen paradigm changes in the capabilities, a librarian can function in, making it all the way more promising and enticing in terms of the career prospects. There is the wide acknowledgment by the National Knowledge Commission about the part played by the librarians in shaping the intellectual gambits of our country. Library science, as a matter of fact, encompasses such diversity over the nature of work that one is actually able to select a job conducive to his capabilities. The present article envisages throwing some light on library science in general and the career prospects as a librarian In particular.
Nature of Work as a Librarian
Prima facie, it is the librarian who is solely responsible for the smooth functioning of the library. A librarian may choose to work in a whole gamut of capabilities. Some of them being:
- Library Assistant
- Junior Librarian
- Assistant as well as Deputy Librarian
- Application Specialist (Scientist Post)
- Junior and Senior Information analyst
- Information Architect
- Qualifications Required to become a Librarian
Courses are offered in the conventional 3 tier system (Bachelor’s, Master’s as well as at the research level). Certification level courses are also available. These are mentioned as under:
- Certification Program in Library and Information Sciences (CLISc or CLIB) Eligibility 10+2.
- Diploma Course in Library and Information Sciences (DLISc or DLIB) Eligibility 10+2
- Bachelor in Library and Information Sciences (B.LISC or B.LIB) Eligibility Graduation in any stream from a recognized university.
- Master in Library and Information Sciences (M.LIB or M.LISc) Eligibility B.LISC or B.LIB from a recognized university.
- Phil in Library and Information Sciences Eligibility M.LIB or M.LISc from a recognized university.
- PhD in Library and Information Sciences, Eligibility M.LIB or M.LISc from a recognized university.
- Following is the list of premier universities in the country offering these courses:
- National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resource, New Delhi
- Documentation Training Centre, Bangalore
- Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore
- Calcutta University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Jamia Milia Islamia
- Aligarh Muslim University etc
Over the years there has also been a trend as to pursue the degree by the means of correspondence courses. These can be availed at:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- Kota Open University
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Calcutta.
- Job Prospects and Remuneration
This career enjoys a wide demand from both private as well as government sectors.
While undergraduate pass outs may apply for the librarian positions of schools, the criteria for University Librarian post is at least M.LIB or M.LISc subject to the attainment of the NET threshold decided. However, to apply for the faculty positions in the universities, PhD is obligatory. The payment is along the Pay-band of a class I officer in a case of Universities, and class II and III officer in schools. One may also apply for the librarian positions of various government organizations such as the ISRO, DRDO, BARC etc and extremely talented and ambitious candidates may go on to rise to the librarian posts of the parliament, ministries as well as international organizations such as the UN itself clearly showing sky as the only limit.
Career as a librarian means being in an environment surrounded with intellectuals, it is equally lucrative from both satisfactory as well as monetary points of view. Those who have a passion, should undoubtedly go for it.