Career as Dietician and Nutritionist
What is It?
Nutritional Science is the study of the effects of food components on the metabolism, health, performance and disease resistance. It also includes study of human behaviour related to food choices.
Dieticians and Nutritionists study how diet and dietary supplements affect health of an individual and help people make informed dietary choices for a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal. Also, they advise the diet related changes one needs to undertake to based upon their medical condition.
Overall, they assess diagnose and treat nutritional problems.
Activities they do?
- Examine the health history of an individual and study his eating habits in order to assess him and prepare reports
- Based on the reports, plan appropriate diets and health care plans for individuals
- Contribute to the food industry in planning and incorporating healthy food choices in menus to increase nutritional value of food items
- Educate masses about basic nutritional needs and help them make well informed diet choices
- Research work to study nutrition related illness.
- Design policies for government to propagate nutrition awareness in schools and other institutions
Areas they Work?
- Private consulting
- Public and private healthcare
- Academic institutions
- Food industry
- Gyms and recreational centres
One can enter this career by doing UG in home science and specialize in dietetics. One can also opt for B.Sc in food nutrition post 12th. Diploma in dietetics can also be pursued.
The average salary for a dietician is around 1.8-2 lacs per annum at beginner level. With experience the pay can go above 4 lacs.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level PG
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self