Career in Biochemistry
What is it?
Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes that take place in living organisms. A biochemist examines the body’s immune response to germs and allergens and determines the effectiveness of drugs in treating a wide range of diseases. Biochemists understand how different chemical reactions happen in our tissues and cells. They also study the reaction of various medicines on human body.
- Analytical chemist
- Biomedical scientist
- Healthcare scientist, clinical biochemistry
- Clinical research associate
Activities they do?
- Biochemists understand how certain chemical reactions happen in cells and tissues
- Study the effects of foods, drugs, allergens and other substances on living tissues
- Work with various lab teams and supervise their work
- Prepare technical and scientific reports based on research work
- Work with computer modelling software to understand structure of molecules
- Study genetic mutation in organisms
Areas they Work?
- Forensic science services
- Research institutes
- Patent examiners
- Academic Institutes
- Scientific laboratories
One can enter this career by doing a B.Sc. in Biochemistry followed by a M.Sc .Interested candidates can further pursue a Ph.D.
The average annual compensation of a biochemist at an entry level is 2-3 lacs per annum. However with a good experience the remuneration can increase up to 6-7 lacs per annum.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes