Career in Criminal Law
What is it?
Criminal law is a section of law that deals with criminal offenses such as theft, harassment, murder, rape and assault. These set of laws exist so as to regulate social behavior and conduct in a society.
Criminal lawyers are either dense lawyers or government appointed prosecutors. In case of private complaints they defend people/institutions which are charged with crimes. They play a crucial rule in the criminal justice system of the country.
Activities they do?
- Handle criminal cases, ranging from domestic violence crimes, sex crimes, violent crimes and drug crimes to driving under the influence, theft, embezzlement and fraud
- Study subjects like history, social science, economics, business law, contracts, human rights etc.
- Represent their defendant in the criminal court system
- Be a part of arraignments, pre-trial hearings, settlement conferences, trials and sentence hearings
- Work along with paralegals, private investigators, litigation, consultants
Areas they Work?
- Law Consultancy
Post 10+2 one can appear for the CLAT entrance. After clearing it one can pursue a LL.B followed by a LL.M.
At a beginner level the annual compensation of a criminal lawyer is 1-2 lacs per annum. With experience it goes up to 5-6 lacs and beyond.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes