Career in Diagnostics/Pathology
What is it?
Diagnostics or Pathology as a medical field involves understanding the cause and effects of various diseases. Pathologists conduct various tests on tissue samples, organs, body fluids and blood to identify a disease and understand its cause. They also work on developing vaccines for such diseases. Pathologists also work with plants and animals depending on their field of study.
Few of the specializations of specialization of human pathology are :
Activities they do?
- Examining the tissues of a patient’s organs
- Carry on various blood tests of patients for diagnosis of diseases
- Explaining test results and advising on further treatments
- Participating in the murder investigation, performing autopsy to understand the various factors contributing to the death of the human
- Looking after blood transfusion process and making it safer
- Working on developing current techniques and tests
- Working on developing vaccines for various diseases
Areas they Work?
- Scientific research
- Healthcare industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
Once can start with a 10+2 education with a science background of physics, chemistry and biology. Post that an individual interested in pathology has to first complete his MBBS and then pursue his post-graduation in pathology.
The average annual compensation for a pathologist is 9-10 lacs per annum. Senior pathologists who have a good 8+ years’ experience can earn significantly not only in research and laboratory work but also in academics.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes