Career in Industrial/Product Design
What is it?
Industrial / Product designers work on design, creation and testing of new products which get mass produced (e.g. cars). They have to consider product functions, aesthetics, cost and time to produce while designing these products.
Before making the final product they make model and prototype using designs and test before finalizing them. Their work deals with new product design as well as modifying the existing products for betterment.
Activities they do?
- Anticipate psychological, physiological and sociological factors and perceptions that influence users of products and services
- Work with the Market Research department to understand the psyche of consumers and design accordingly
- Create, plan and style manufactured goods
- Collection and analysis of requirements from clients and manufacturers to create models and drawings
Areas they work?
- Large Design Firms,
- Engineering and architecture companies
- Fashion and Clothing Design companies
- Car manufacturers
- Large technology companies
- Sports teams and media outlets
- Medical, automobile, or technology industry
A bachelor’s degree in an area like industrial design, engineering or architecture is essential for this career. PhD program is also offered by IITs in India and reputed universities in USA and Europe. Internships and a work portfolio may help secure entry-level positions.
Career in Industrial / Products design is lucrative in terms of salary. Median salaries in India is 6 lacs/annum and it can go up with experience.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level UG/PG
- Language Moderate
- Students 29
- Assessments Self